Just watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture because I was feeling in the mood. Unfortunately, I only have the films on VHS. I haven't watched a VHS tape in years. Based on the past few hours, then, I have the following observations:
- Holy crap that was some static-y sci-fi. Must obtain DVDs
- I'm kind of amazed that our VHS player actually still works. The remote doesn't (even with new batteries), but the player does.
- Do we ever find out why Kirk's hair changes from light brown/dark blonde and mostly straight to dark brown and wavy between the series and the films? Do they work in an Interstellar Hair Club commercial in the background somewhere? A freak shuttle accident?
- Could they not have gotten the Ilia-probe some freakin' pants? Is having cold legs and potentially flashing your robotic girl parts part of "observing the normal functions" on the Enterprise? (Actually, now that I think back on the women's uniforms from the original series, I think it may well be...)
- I think Doctor McCoy shops for his civilian clothing at Intergalactic Disco Pimps R Us. He's sporting a pretty awesome gold medallion with his open-neck wing-collared jumpsuit thing along with the Unabomber beard. Pretty awesome belt-buckle, too.
- The uniforms from this movie are awful. Who the hell thought pants with boots built in and pastels were a good idea? Also, spandex is not forgiving.
In other news, I got several inches knitted on the sweater I'm working on for an Xmas gift. My nose is freezing for some reason. And I'm now trying to come up with a potential product-line for an Etsy shop called "Intergalactic Disco Pimps R Us."