5.18.2009

Imitation Predynastic Pot

Because I am a huge, huge nerd, I decided that I needed to spiffy up the terracotta planter we bought with some painting.  It took me forever to decide what to do, though, until inspiration struck - I could use some Egyptian motifs!  Now, with a few exceptions, most Egyptian pottery after the Predynastic period is pretty boring, so of course I stuck with the Predynastic.  In particular, I borrowed some motifs from white cross-lined ware - a boat, a dancing figure, and a hippo.  And here is the painted pot, sitting next to some papyrus stalks.


Imitation white cross-lined ware

Imitation white cross-lined ware

Imitation white cross-lined ware

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog from googling "amigurami achaeologist", hence my commenting on an old post...But I like this! And love your amigurumi faience kitty! I've been looking for archaeology-themed craft - there doesn't seem much of it around. I have for the past few days formed a desire to make a crocheted amphora (though I must learn to crochet first :)

Also, I don't suppose you know of any archaeology-themed fabric (I dream of finding something with little archaeologist's trowels on, for example.) It's a long-shot, I know...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind comments! I have pans for more archaeological themed stuff - it's just a matter of moving from plan to actually making things that's the problem.

I don't know of any archaeology-themed fabric, but I know there are some companies that will print fabric of your own design. Spoonflower is one in the US - I think you can also request someone design a fabric pattern for you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great - would love to see that! Have bookmarked your blog already, although I am not generally very good at following blogs...

Thanks for the tip re designing one's own fabric - that could be really cool, though I cannot afford it right now :) When my sewing skills have improved, and I can envisage exactly what I want and how to make it, it could be worth it though. Am still finding my way :)