I decided to go with the acetone transfer technique. Essentially, you take a printout from a laser printer or photocopier, lay it face down on your block and rub some acetone on it. The toner is transferred to your block and you just carve away.
Unfortunately, my laser printer at home is not conducive to this method. Fortunately, Tom volunteered to get copies elsewhere and it eventually worked beautifully.
Yesterday evening was thus spent in front of the TV with my lap desk while I carved away. I found it amazingly fun and managed not to injure myself or any innocent bystanders.
Today I worked on pulling prints to two flour-sack cotton towels. I did the garden pool print at the center and the sema-tawy motif in each corner and centered just above each hem alternating in red, yellow, and blue. I couldn't get a good photo of the full towel this evening. I will try to do so tomorrow before everything goes into the mail, but no guarantees.
Here are two of the sema-tawy prints:
The first garden pool print:
And the second garden pool scene:
For both types of print, I slathered on the various colors of paint as quickly and evenly as possible, then very, very lightly misted with water and put it face-down on the fabric and applied very light, even pressure. After lifting the block I went in and filled in color or made a few corrections by hand.
My back is killing me at this point and it took me most of the day to do all this, but I really like the results. Next up I think I'm going to try some smaller stamps and a few other motifs.