4.07.2009

An Easter food musing

So, I'm lounging on the couch watching Good Eats on Food Network - I assume they're running Easter-associated food shows leading up to the weekend.  Tonight's episodes have been ham (I missed most of that one) and lamb (on as I type this).  Both very tasty things - lamb is really under-appreciated in the US in my opinion and pig is damn tasty.  :)
Something that usually occurs to me and then speedily flees my brain after the Easter season is why ham and lamb tend to be the traditional foods for Easter lunch or dinner (at least in the US, as far as I know).  
It seems strange to me that one option is something that Christ (not getting into historicity here, just going on basic "accepted" knowledge) wouldn't have eaten as a good Jew (pork) and the other is a creature associated with one of the many titles given to Christ ("Lamb of God").  I'm probably way over analyzing, but it just like either disrespecting the cultural origins of Christ or eating him (not going into Catholic theology here - I spent enough years being catechized in private school), which I would think would be creepy for at least some flavors of Christianity.  :)
I can guess at reasons why for lamb - the association with Passover, spring being lambing season, etc.
Pork I can postulate as having been historically easier to raise than, say, cattle, and ham as a traditional preserved food, thus providing a source of meat even in the early spring, probably even before lambing.

Anyway, I just find it anthropologically interesting - not enough to devote a large amount of research, but enough to comment on and make random postulations based on whatever is floating around in my head after 10 years of higher education.  :)

Any comments?  Similar musings?

No comments: